Enter subtitle here
Now that a cherub is representative of an exalted Power is evident from Adonai-Yahweh's address to the Tyrian Royalty, in Ezek. 28:12-19; as
12. "Thus said Adonai-Yahweh:-- As a signet of curious engraving; Full of wisdom and perfect in splendour art thou.
13. Thou hast been in Eden, the garden of Elohim. Every precious stone thy covering; The ruby, the topaz, and the diamond,The beryl, the Onyx, and the jasper, The sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle. And the workmanship of thy tabrets and thy pipes was of gold in thee: In the day of thy being created they were prepared.
14. Thou 'Anointed Cherub', even I constitute thee a protector; On the holy mountain of the Elohim thou hast been; In sparkling gems, thou didst walk to and fro.
15. Thou hast been upright in thy dealings from the day of thy being created, until iniquity hath been found in thee.
16. Through the greatness of thy traffic they have filled thy midst (with) extortion; And thou hast sinned; therefore, I will break thee out of the mountain of Elohim. And, I will destroy thee, O protecting cherub, from amidst the sparkling gems.
17. Thine heart was lifted up because of thy splendour; Thou hast corrupted thy wisdom because of thy brilliancy; I will prostrate thee upon the earth. I will lay thee before kings to rejoice over thee.
18. From the greatness of thine iniquities through the unrighteousness of thy traffic. Thou hast polluted their holy places; Therefore, I will cause to come forth a fire from thy midst: It shall devour thee, and I will give thee for ashes upon the earth, In the eves of all observers.
19. All that know thee among the peoples were confounded because of thee; Thou shalt be calamities (to them), and nothing of thee till the Olahm."
In this quotation, more correctly and, therefore, more intelligibly translated than in the common version, a political power, headed up in the King of Tyre is styled an Anointed Cherub; and the reason appears to have been because Yahweh had "constituted it a Protector" of people, which function is signified by outspread wings, which are an important element of the Cherubic symbol. The Tyrian Power was an "anointed" Cherub in the same sense in which the Pagan Cyrus, King of Persia, was "Yahweh's Anointed," or Messiah, who was surnamed of Yahweh before his birth, and 176 years before he appeared upon the page of Bible history (Isaiah 45:1-4).
The Eternal Spirit created and rode the Tyrian Power, as in a chariot; and developed it as an element of that system of powers, whose relations to Israel in the days of Jeremiah, Ezekiel, and Daniel were allegorical of "the powers that be" in their relations to the Hebrew nation, when the Russian Nebuchadnezzar shall make war upon the Anglo-Syrian protector of the Jews in "the holy mountain of the Elohim," and cast it out in the epoch of the thief-like apocalypse of the Ancient of Days and his company of glorified myriads.
Phanerosis - Yahweh Manifested in Cherubim
19 All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished [appalled ] at thee: thou shalt be a terror, and never shalt thou be any more [ad olam].
The meaning of this is obvious to one acquainted with the history of the kingdom of Tyre. It was a royalty of Palestine in Upper Galilee, whose king, Hiram, was in intimate alliance with Solomon. He appears to have been a proselyte worshipper of the God of Israel; whom his successors some time afterwards forsook; and therefore God suppressed the kingdom of Tyre by Nebuchadnezzar for seventy years; and finally by the Greeks.
Elpis Israel 1.2.